What Do Big And Tall Recliners Do?
Big and tall recliners replace average chairs that don’t provide all-around support for big and tall people. If you’re a bigger guy who requires a special weight capacity, or if you’re too tall to fit in a regular chair, then it’s time you ditch your substandard chair.
A recliner is the main chair in your living room. It’s a chair that you spend hours relaxing after work, watching television, browsing the internet, or even napping. The recliner is used daily, and it’s the most significant investment for your living room. Getting the right recliner can increase your quality of life by improving your health and making you comfortable.
A big and tall recliner has to do two things:
- Fit in your room – The recliner has to match the size of your living room and your interior details. Calculate at least 3 feet behind the recliner to ensure a full recline – this is to separate the recliner for the wall as recliners are not always “wall huggers.”
- Cater to your height and weight requirements – The recliner has to provide coverage beyond your basic needs. If you’re up to 250 lbs you can pick them on a whim – but many recliners offer support up to 500 lbs, therefore choose according to your needs. They are all suitable for persons over 6 feet tall.
Benefits Of Big And Tall Recliners
Big and tall recliners are made to withstand weight up to 500 lbs and provide full-body coverage for tall individuals. If you are 6’5 you will likely struggle to find a chair that covers the length of your legs and head. While most who are over 200 lbs would usually feel uncomfortable in normal-sized chairs.
They have to know that a chair is designed to support their full weight + additional weight and that the length of the chair is longer than their height for tall men. Big and tall recliners are made to cater to both tall and large people. They’re extremely comfortable.
Even people recovering from surgeries with special medical requirements find them almost as convenient as a Sofa, reclining.
- Support Of Up To 500 Lbs: Tall and large recliners can support men up to 500lbs comfortably. Baseline sturdy materials ensure the weight is distributed with internal amortization that provides high comfort and support for movement. If you’re a large person who likes to move around in your chair, you will need a chair that can support your full range of movement and weight.
- Height Up To 7′: Most tall and large recliners are made for men who are at least 6′. They provide full coverage for the head, the legs, and the sides; areas that men usually neglect while sitting in regular chairs. For example, the head of a male over 6’4 tall would usually rest above the tip of a regular chair. This means they don’t have full head support. Tall and big recliners are designed to cover the full height of a tall person and provide extra space. The same tall guy would have ample coverage for his head and more space on this type of recliner.
- Can Be Used By The Family: The children or even the dog can also use recliners for tall people. They are highly comfortable, and everyone can enjoy the perks. The main difference is that they are bigger compared to regular recliners.
- Highly Comfortable: These recliners are more comfortable than a regular living room sofa or chair. Big and tall recliners are the most comfortable. This is due to the combination of internal amortization, premium cushioning, and padding. They provide the ultimate experience in chair comfort. Recliners are not only for sitting. A person can recline in them, making them the ideal choice for any living room. Many offer technological perks such as USB integration, massages, swivel treys, ambient light, etc.
- Medical Benefits: For people with medical conditions or people who have undergone surgery – they will have special needs, and they’ll likely spend a lot of time lying in bed. Instead of a regular bed, it’s better for them to opt for a recliner that will be comfortable for long-term sitting.
- If one sits too long in a regular chair, their blood starts accumulating in the feet, and this is not good for blood circulation. Recliners can shift the position easily (and the materials are more comfortable), making them better for people with medical requirements.
What Is The Difference Between A Regular Chair And Big And Tall Recliner?
Recliners are identical to regular chairs – the only difference is that they recline back and forth, and are controlled electronically. Think of a recliner like a chair at a 1st class airplane seat – it can rock back and forth, except it’s a lot more comfortable than a stationary chair.
Most recliners have added padding and premium materials which make them feel “premium.”Recliners also have technological advancements such as USB connectors and massage options. Big and tall recliners are specifically designed for large humans – this means men of above-average height and men of above-average weight.
What Technology Do Big And Tall Recliners Have In 2019?
Recliners share one universal feature across the board: the sliding base. The recliner will usually extend and slide downwards for the legs, or upwards for recliners that have special head support. The main distinction is that certain recliners provide remote controls while others are controlled using integrated buttons (located on the sides).
There are differences in recliners for weight-capacity: The minimum capacity is usually 250 lbs, and the maximum capacity is up to 500 lbs.
Recliners, in general, require power plugs and must be located close to a power outlet – more advanced ones will use the power to provide charging ports for smartphones and laptops. Some recliners feature storage space, usually located below the armrests.
Higher-priced recliners include trays for laptops, cup holders on the sides, and ambient light. Some of the Extra Wide recliners we reviewed cost a bit more because the price also varies based on materials – if a recliner uses real leather, it’s going to command higher price tags compared to a recliner made of faux leather polyester or microfiber.
What To Calculate For Before Buying A Big And Tall Recliner?
Tall recliners have to be measured in advance. This is to ensure the recliners will fit in your room and that your body requirements will be supported (in terms of height and weight).
Here are three main calculations you have to make before you purchase a big and tall recliner:
- Size Of Your Room: Measure the room to determine if the recliner dimensions will be compatible. Most big and tall recliners are at least 40″ wide – some up to 55″ wide. Make sure to measure the back-space where you plan to integrate yours, and account for at least 3 feet of distance between the back of the recliner and the wall. You will at least 3 feet behind the recliner to fully recline in bed-position.
- Your Personal Weight: If you weigh less than 250 lbs this will be an easy ride – every recliner on our list supports the weight. However, things get tricky after you hit into the 300’s and 400’s. Some recliners offer to support up to 350 lbs, while more expensive recliners offer support of 400 lbs, 450 lbs or a maximum of 500 lbs.
- Economical Value: Recliners can vary in price based on materials used, even if they seem indistinguishable visually – the prices can vary significantly. For instance, most recliners are built using faux leather or microfiber – while expensive recliners tend to use real leather. This is not always the detrimental factor as the #1 dictator of the price is the weight support – If a recliner can support more weight, it’s going to command a higher price even if the material is microfiber.
We have been working hard at Extra Large Living to research and find items for those of us who are a bit larger, taller, and wider, with the goal of reviewing these larger products.
We have recently completed reviews for the best Calf wide rain boot, on the highest rated Oversized recliners, some amazing Sectional sofas, Bariatrics shower chairs, and our best rated Heavy duty folding rocking chair.
If you are trying to determine which chairs makes the most sense for you and your family, be sure to read our review on our favorite Heavy duty adirondack chairs as well as Heavy duty recliners which are different from Big and Tall.
Please be sure to check back often, and if you have a product or service that caters to bigger people, please let us know. We would love to check it out and let you know what we think.