Updated on July 7th, 2023 at 07:38 pm
Society teaches us that we “shouldn’t” have man boobs, but they’re actually more common than you think. In fact, if you look at the common causes, anyone could find themselves with man boobs. For some, man boobs appear because they are overweight. For others, it may be due to a medical condition such as gynecomastia, where excess breast tissue appears.
Particular medications can also result in gynecomastia as a side effect. Which is noticeably different than fat, you can find out the differences here: Gynecomastia vs fat. In rarer cases, gynecomastia can occur because of problems with the liver, testicles, or kidneys and even because of a tumor.
No matter which issue is causing you to gain extra breast tissue, exercise is usually the most common way to fix it. However, during this sweaty process, you may be wondering how you can switch up your style to try and hide the unwanted lumps and bumps. Let’s look at some of the best ways to hide your man boobs.
8 ways to hide man boobs
These are guaranteed to help you feel more confident in yourself and the way you look.
1. Compression – Compression shirts are made with people in mind who want to conceal their chests. It is a very functional base layer that goes underneath your shirts or T-shirts. There are plenty of brands, specifically those that sell athletic wear, which offer these garments. They are even great to wear while exercising to minimize the strain on your chest.
2. Use small patterns – Many people have sworn by using patterns to camouflage the problem so that it isn’t as noticeable. However, be mindful of which patterns you choose. The smaller the pattern, the better the coverage. When selecting a shirt with a small pattern, you want to try and find one that doesn’t have too much color contrast. Your best bet is to look for patterns such as small blue checks on a dark blue background or gray and black plaids.
3. Thick fabrics – Another tip is to try wearing thicker fabrics or try wearing multiple layers. This is a fantastic way to detract from larger chests. This is especially good advice if you live somewhere that is a little cooler.
If you’re someone who lives in a warmer climate, then you want to focus on fabrics that are tightly woven as these can offer the same benefits to help conceal your chest.
4. Wear the right size – Most people try to conceal their man boobs by wearing oversized clothing. By doing this, you can actually bring more attention to your size and insecurities.
There is nothing worse than trying to camouflage a certain part of your body by wearing large clothing, only to find that you actually look bigger than before. The best thing to do is find your correct size.
Opposite to this, wearing clothes that are too tight will bring more attention to your chest area. So, you want to find the perfect balance between these.
If you are able to, you could even try paying to get your clothes altered so that they are perfect for you specifically.
5. Reduce contrast – When outfitting your upper and lower body, you want to try and minimize how much color contrast you have.
If you have chosen to wear khaki shorts and a dark shirt then you are going to give the illusion that you are short as well as wide.
However, if you wore that dark shirt with some dark slacks then your waistline won’t be as defined and you will also look a little taller.
Monochromatic outfitting is all the rage at the moment, and it is a great way to achieve a slimming and elegant look.
6. Avoid whites – Surprisingly, white is actually a color that can make you look bigger, especially your chest. We recommend trying to stick to neutral and dark tones. A great tip is to try and match your clothing to your hair and eye color as this will help you to look uniform and smart.
7. Try pinstripes – You will find that a suit is quite flattering on anyone, no matter the body type. This is due to the fact that they are uniform in color as well as texture. They overall create a vertical straight line from head to toe. To add even more to this effect, you can try pinstripes. They will help to make you look slimmer as well as taller. You do want to try and avoid suits with large patterns as they can give the illusion of looking bigger than you are.
8. Embrace them – If none of these options are working for you, then it may be time to try and embrace your man boobs. Remember, you are not alone, and there are many men who have the same issue. Confidence is the key to beating a lot of insecurities. You’d be surprised how far a little confidence and self-love can take you when it comes to beating your insecurities.
Remember, your appearance does not define you! Despite what others may think, your man boobs are not a problem that you should let reduce your quality of life!
The bottom line
It can be quite a daunting experience to have insecurity such as man boobs, especially when you are constantly worried about what other people are thinking. We hope that this list helps you to find ways that you can manage the insecurity as well as find ways to boost your self-confidence.
Remember, if concealing the problem doesn’t work, then the next step is to either embrace it or work on it! Exercise will help to reduce the fatty tissues in your chest. If you struggle with a medical condition that is causing extra breast tissue, then make sure to discuss options with your doctor. In the meantime, bear these concealing methods in mind for the next time you get dressed up!
For more fun articles, take a look at Extra Large Living.
- Wide bike seat
- How-to be confident in bed when overweight
- Camping cots
- Sectional sofas
- Belly band holster
- Fat guy swim shirt
- Plus-size christmas onesie
- Plus-size camouflage pants
- Columbia big and tall clothing
- Do protein shakes make you gain weight?
- Tailored fit vs slim fit
- How bad is 20 pounds overweight?